Denise’s Delicious Gluten Free Bakery was set up by me, Denise O’ Callaghan. It all started a short time after my father was diagnosed with coeliac disease. My mother and I got our aprons on, rolled up our sleeves and started tackling the baking cupboard! We discovered that after hours of tweaking here and altering there that we could make great tasting cakes and breads that were gluten and wheat free, my father was of course delighted with our delicious discovery and myself and my mother felt that we were onto something brilliant! Then Delicious Derek arrived on the scene and the rest, as they say, is history! This is Delicious Derek below!
Today, our artisan bakers create the highest quality cakes and breads, by hand, every day. We take great pride in our freshly made, hand crafted, cakes & breads made with ‘real’ ingredients that our locally sourced when possible.
What is Coeliac Disease?
Coeliac disease effects 1 in 100 people in Ireland (research – Coeliac Society of Ireland) and is caused due to the sensitivity towards the gluten containing foods. Gluten is a protein found in all forms of wheat (including durum, semolina, and spelt), rye, oats, barley and related grain hybrids such as triticale and kamut. When people with coeliac disease consume gluten, the absorptive villi in the small intestine are damaged, preventing the absorption of many important nutrients and causing the following symptoms:
- stomach pain and bloating
- weight loss
- chronic tiredness
- failure to thrive in children
However, with a completely gluten-free diet, the intestinal lining will heal completely allowing most patients to live a normal, healthy life as long as they remain free of gluten in their diet. Even a small amount of gluten can cause symptoms to reoccur.
Our Company Philosophy
To us, the food experience is about life! Being on a restrictive diet should not mean a restricted food experience.We create gluten and wheat free cakes and breads that do not compromise on taste.
- Our artisan bakers create the highest quality cakes, breads and snacks by hand each and every day.
- We take great pride in our freshly made and hand crafted range and these are made with real ingredients that are sourced locally where possible.
- Our new product development team are always researching and listening to customers in order to develop innovative products that those following a gluten free diet are looking for.
- Our Cork based bakery is one of the largest in Ireland, here everything is gluten free and all products are tested for gluten at the HSE Analyst Lab, this ensures our annual position in the Coeliac Society of Ireland food book so that you can trust our products are 100% safe to enjoy.
Our Quality Guarantee
- Denise’s Delicious Gluten Free Bakery is committed to food excellence and innovation.
- The use of the highest quality gluten free raw materials guarantees that all our products consistently meet customer expectations.
- Denise’s Delicious Gluten Free Bakery meets Global Food Standards and fully conforms with all appropriate food safety legislation
- Delicious the gluten free bakery maintains a HACCP Quality Assurance Programme which itself incorporates full microbiological testing and auditing.
- Our Objective – We are dedicated to being the most efficient and consistent suppliers of gluten free cakes & breads – and we achieve this through our people, our continuous improvement philosophy, and our ongoing investment in people, and new production and process technology.
- Best Manufacturing Practice Approved HACCP and currently working on the installation of a BRC Quality System.
- Food Safety – Full product traceability. All our suppliers are regularly audited on their Quality systems.
- Accreditation – Our specialised bakery is accredited in accordance with Irish as well as several international standards for quality management and food safety. We are an approved food product manufaturer by the Irish Coeliac Society.
This our TV advert from 2012, thanks to AIB who supported our very young business and offered us such an excellent opportunity in creating this advert.
Since this video was made we have rebranded, launched new products, along with moving to a larger bakery. Times have changed but our ethos and delicious tasting range has always stayed the same!