Welcome to Denise’s Delicious Gluten Free Bakery
American-style frosted chocolate cake
This is a simple chocolate cake that whips up easily and feels very American! It works well as cupcakes too and the icing can be piped on to finish.
For the cake:
25g (1oz) cocoa powder
1 teaspoon bread soda
510ml (17floz) water
600g (1lb 7oz) caster sugar
225g (9oz) butter/margarine at room temperature, chopped
450g (1lb) Denise’s Delicious flour blend (see below)
1 teaspoon GF baking powder
1 teaspoon xanthan gum
4 large eggs, beaten lightly
75g (3oz) butter/margarine
90ml (3floz) water
100g (4oz) caster sugar
200g (8oz) icing sugar
25g (1oz) cocoa powder
White chocolate curls to decorate
- Preheat the oven to Gas Mark 5/190°C/375°F. Grease a round 27cm/10½in diameter baking tin and line the base with baking parchment.
- Sieve the cocoa powder and bread soda together and put aside.
- Combine the water, sugar and butter/margarine in a medium saucepan, then stir over a low heat, without boiling, until the sugar dissolves. Stir in the cocoa and bread soda.
- Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and allow to simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes.
- Transfer the mixture to a large bowl and allow to cool to room temperature.
- Sieve the flour, baking powder and gum in a separate bowl.
- Whisk the eggs and add the flour mixture gradually, whisking between additions. Add this to the cocoa mixture and whisk until smooth.
- Pour into the baking tin and bake in the oven for about 50 minutes. Gently insert a skewer into the centre of the cake to check it is fully baked. If baking as cupcakes they will require just 15–20 minutes to bake.
- Allow the cake to stand in the tin for ten minutes, before turning out onto a wire rack. Turn the cake top-side-up to cool.
- To make the frosting, combine the butter/margarine, water and caster sugar in a small saucepan and stir over a low heat, without boiling, until the butter/ margarine melts.
- Sieve the icing sugar and cocoa powder into a medium bowl then gradually stir in the hot butter/margarine mixture.
- Cover and refrigerate for about 20 minutes until the frosting thickens.
- Remove the frosting from the fridge and whip with a wooden spoon until spreadable.
Using a palette knife, spread it over the cake and sprinkle with white chocolate curls.
Denise’s Delicious flour blend
This is a great, all-round white flour. If you are avoiding corn, then use tapioca flour instead. There are lots of decent white gluten-free/wheat-free flours on the market, but all perform differently. I have blended this to suit my recipes here.
Makes approximately 850g (2lb) flour blend
250g (10oz) rice flour
25g (1oz) tapioca flour
275g (11oz) potato flour
275g (11oz) corn flour
13g (½oz) teff flour
1 teaspoon gluten-free (GF) baking powder
1 teaspoon guar gum
Sieve all the ingredients into a bowl and mix well.
Baking with Sybil on Ireland AM: Savoury Loaf
I had such great fun last Friday baking our Savoury Loaf on TV3’s Ireland AM.
Sybil was a great helper and loved my recipe!
NEW! Delicious Chocolate Muffins
We are thrilled to announce the arrival of our Delicious Chocolate Muffins. Ever so chocolatey and utterly irresistible. Now available in the UK and shortly available in-store in Ireland. You can be the first to order on our online shop at htttp://www.delicious.ie/shop
Who knows, you may even be lucky enough to taste one made by my very own Delicious Derek!
Delicious Easter Hampers
Easter is upon us and a Delicious Easter hamper of goodies is a wonderful way to treat your family coeliac or free-from loved one. The Delicious Hampers are now available from the bakery so call us on 021 4355536 to place your order.
Our hampers are designed to suit all prices ranges, so there is definitely something to suit all tastes!
Have a very Delicious Easter!
The Delicious Easter Hamper: €26
The Scrumptious Easter Hamper: €36
Luxury Easter Hamper: €62
Happy Saint Patrick’s Day from Delicious
Make sure to enjoy your Saint Patrick’s Day with our scrumptious free from cupcakes! A cup cake & a cuppa after the Parade; pure bliss!
Denise with Neven Maguire’s on his Healthy Home Chef Series
Baking with Neven Maguire on his Healthy Home Chef series was such fun and excitement for all of us here in Delicious.
If you missed it, tune in here for a peek at Delicious Bakery behind the scenes!
Check out our blog for our Quiche Lorraine recipe!
Denise and the Family Sharing Range!
Denise’s Delicious Gluten Free Bakery is one of Ireland’s longest established specialist bakeries. We specialise in baking gluten, wheat and dairy free cakes, breads and snacks and these are handmade at our bakery each day. We are fully approved by the Irish Coeliac Society and enjoy a great relationship with all of our coeliacs friends, readers and newly diagnosed customers.
We believe that being on a restricted diet should not mean a restricted food experience and our award winning range has proven to be a huge success with coeliacs and those following a gluten free diet!
Gluten Free Recipe Book Launch
We are thrilled to announce that we are launching our very first recipe book!
“The new must-have book for gluten-free bakers” Sunday Times
This beautiful book is packed with 100 Delicious recipes and brilliant tips and tricks for free-from baking. We can’t wait for you all to enjoy baking with Denise’s wonderful recipes and learn from her years of expertise as a free-from baker. The book will be available from the 15th April from all good book stores and also from our online shop.
See Denise Bake her Very Berry Muffins on TV3
We really enjoy chatting with our customers and believe that the only way to learn what the customer wants is to listen, so please feel free to give us a call on 021-4355536, email us at email@example.com or via the contact form below.